Sunday, January 31, 2010

Common Ground: The Sleeper Team


I spent this weekend shooting the dance team, Common Ground as they prepared for the Vibe dance competition held at the Bren Events Center at UCI.


This is about as close to the hip hop dance scene/community as I've ever been.


I think Common Ground gets lost in the mix of the dance community here at UCI. Everyone knows Kaba Modern from ABDC and B-Boys Anonymous and the like.


One of the things that sets Common Ground apart from the other crews is that CG is not exclusive to UCI students, rather they have members from various schools.


One could say this makes them a weaker team because they aren't as close knit since they don't see each other often, but in a sense they're closer because they have to make the most of their rare time together.


Regardless, spending 2 nights with this team gave me a sense of who they were. They've only been around since 2004, but they don't show their nerves. I've never felt a parking structure shake until I went to their practice. This is a team that wears their heart on the sleeve. Upon the day of VIBE, I would call Common Ground the sleeper team of the competition. I don't think people will be expecting what they're bringing.



wildwombat

No comments:

Post a Comment