Thursday, April 8, 2010

College Apps going Viral




Not quite sure how I feel about this.
On one hand, I think this is an interesting sign for our generation/upcoming generations. That our generation can produce and consume now. We've grown beyond being just single letters and numbers to colleges, but to actual people. I also think this says something about Youtube's influence in the world now. I was impressed when they allowed people to make videos that would be featured during the presidential debates, but now it's progressed into the college application process is...an interesting move.

When I applied to colleges (holy 2 years ago) I always was bothered by the fact that they would never be able to take into account the fact that we are human. I'm not Application Number 746923, GPA: 3.9, ACT: 27, SAT: 1820, AP Scores: 4,3,5,2,2 and whatever BS I put in extracurricular activities. Seemed too one sided, made us seem one dimensional. But now college applicants can show their personalities and talents to their perspective colleges.

But there's a part of me that thinks this is a load of bullshit. Unless the schools they mentioned in the report base a lot off creativity, including a video is pointless. It would make sense if they were art schools or applying for art/music majors. In that sense it's important to showcase how well you can play an instrument or show a slideshow of your artwork. But unless you're solving 300 differential equations or performing open heart surgery or reading off the periodic table in alphabetical order while doing the first two I mentioned at the same time, a video might not be very helpful.

Then there's the part of my mind that says, why the hell wasn't I given a chance to do this when I applied to college? I would have made a kick ass video on why colleges should accept me. I would have shown off so many of my skillz

Dice Stacking Skillz


Cup Stacking Skillz


Parkour Skillz


and other various skillz I have.

Finally, I think this is going to make college applications very interesting if this becomes a common thing. I doubt they will allow full 1 min videos because that's a ton of time for the application people to be watching videos of people doing most likely pointless things.





wildwombat

No comments:

Post a Comment