Sunday, October 11, 2009

Return on Investment



Every time my mom and I have a conversation about majors it seems so circular. Not in the bad circular where we're going back and forth angrily about my choice of majors (because she still doesn't know) but more that she continues to "encourage" a public health major

THEN

Goes on this tangent about choosing whatever you want. "Parents worry because they want to make sure they get the most out of their investment of 40 thousand dollars. I mean, if you work something and hate the situation or hate what you're doing, just take the classes to change careers WHILE you're still working. People change careers all the time, it's a shame it didn't work the first time around, but it happens. But if you want something enough and you're willing to work for it, then it's fine."

I understand where she is coming from. I could've gotten offended and believed that all I was to my mom was an investment, nothing beyond making sure they spent their money in the right place, as in if I messed up, I was simply a waste of money.

But it's not like that.

I admit that I don't know where Lit Journalism will take me. I'll admit it's nowhere near as secure as something in the health care field. But if you ask me, going for the health care field seems like the easy way out with the hardest journey to get there. Lit Journalism will be hard too, but I've already taken steps to get there. If I wanted to get into Public Health, I should've been taking more public health classes, chemistry, and biology. I should've joined the public health association on campus, but I went to the New University orientation instead.

If I can get into Intro to Literary Journalism and Reporting on Literary Journalism, next quarter, then the deal is sealed.

By the way, this is documentation for the future in case I actually do end up saying all that.



wildwombat

No comments:

Post a Comment