Friday, July 17, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince



Major apologies guys, I said I would have a full Harry Potter review out and I'm over 2 days late. Better late than never right?

So this could easily become a review that sounds like this "OMG THEY LEFT So0o0o0o0 MUCH OUT OF THE BOOKZ!! THE BOOKZ R WAAAIIIYYYY BETTER THAN THE MOVIEZ!! OMG OMG HERMIONE IS SOO EFFING HAWT!! AND I EFFIN HATE HOW IT ENDED, THEY DID IT COMPLETELY RONG!!!"

Yeah fuck that. I'll try to give you a somewhat intelligent review and I'm going to assume you've read the books.

Overall I really enjoyed this one. The Order of the Phoenix didn't quite do it for me, but this one did it's best. I noticed a lot more character development in this, especially the beginnings of Hermione's attraction to Ron. Also I thought Malfoy's character was very well done. However they decided to do his make up or the way they did his scenes were well thought out. It was easy to see him deteriorating into evil though he didn't really want to. I don't think I saw him smile once during the movie...not even like an evil sneer that he was so good at, most of the time he was scowling or looking paranoid or just in constant pain.

It's been a really long time since I've read the Half-Blood Prince, so as usual I didn't remember much about what happened, but I think the movie did pretty well to remind me. I kind of wish they had focused a little more on Harry trying to figure out who the Half-Blood Prince, it just was casually mentioned like "Do you even know who this Half-Blood Prince is, Harry?" And that was it.

However, that was more like a sub-plot to Dumbledore and Harry diving into Voldemort's past and discovering what Horcruxes were, which they did pretty well.

Now the other sub-plot of the relationship between Harry and Ginny...uh Straight Non-Existent! I was under the impression that they developed an actual relationship during the 6th book, not just kiss, but I could be wrong, plus it's the classic excuse: "They can't fit everything into the movie." Whatever, I didn't think their on screen chemistry was really there to begin with.

Oh yeah and QUIDDICH! Thank God it's back. It was only like 7 minutes maybe, but it was still fun to watch. Really made it look like a rough game.

I really enjoyed when the Death Eaters infiltrated Hogwarts. That whole sequence was very well done, really brought across the message that Hogwarts was not safe anymore.

I must have gotten really into the movie towards the end because I felt something when Snape said Avada Kadabra and killed Dumblebore...I dunno. It's one of those things you know is coming, but you don't actually want to see it happen.

So overall, I still say you go see it in theaters or if you have some extra pennies, see it in IMAX.

Obviously, if you read the books, you won't be satisfied, but seriously...this is the 6th movie...you should be prepared for it by now and if you aren't then you're preaching to the choir about how much they leave out and I won't give you a moment of my time to hear you complain about it.

So yeah, go see it in theaters, it's pretty good. I enjoyed it, but it set the bar pretty high for the last installment, which had better be freakin epic since it's going to be split into two movies.

Oh and Hermione in that dress is a serious thumbs up. You'll know what I mean when you see it.

And to provide you with more entertainment
"5 Ways People Are Taking Harry Potter Waaay Too Seriously"
http://www.cracked.com/article_17510_5-ways-people-are-taking-harry-potter-waaay-too-seriously.html
Two words: Intercollegiate Quiddich
Facepalm.





wildwombat

No comments:

Post a Comment