Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Should We Be Worried?

Digg had an article with the title

"Life at the Edge: Great Barrier Reef Could Be World's 1st Global Ecosystem to Collapse"

The whole article is here


Now don't worry, I'm not about to go environmentalist here, but I care about the environment and this article is pretty scary.

Basically it says that within 20 years the ENTIRE Great Barrier Reef will disappear and all reasons point to climate change and pollution...which seems to be the one of the most popular things to blame things on aside from Ex-President Bush.

I've been lucky enough to visit the Great Barrier Reef and it's a beautiful place. The article is pretty technical about how coral reefs work, but it's still interesting to read, unfortunately it really makes me feel helpless about it.

I guess it's the fact that 20 year is well within my lifetime (I hope). Most articles like this are usually things like "The World's Fish Population Will Disappear in The Next 150 Years!" (actually I think it's more like 50 years or something) or "By the year 2090, There Will Be No More Forests on Earth"

Guess it's another reason to make a trip out to Australia ASAP right?
Seriously I'm trying to make this post light because the article depressed the shit out of me.



wildwombat

No comments:

Post a Comment